Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Google and the Magical World of NPR

Well, this computer completely sucks. I am using my work computer and I had my blog almost completed when, out of nowhere, the Explorer screen changed and my blog erased. Stupid me didn't save it. So, considering I have a ton of work to do, my body hurts from my accident, and my son is super sick and needing me, I'm going to make this blog boring and short. My apologies, but I'm irritated that the whole thing is just GONE!! Anyway, I was writing about an NPR story I heard about last night as I was driving to school in my rental car. The story came on as I was passing under the on ramp that gets you the hell out of Larkspur. So, they were talking about Google and how their clients just love the simplicity of the site and how easy it is to navigate and use. They pretty much used the same verbiage that Mr. Troy Dunn used as he was speaking about Google. You know, "Yay, Google. They are awesome! People enjoy using them. Information at the bottom with little dividers in between. Logo at the top left corner. Simple. Easy to use." They also starting talking about the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button. Apparently only 1% of Google's users actually use that button and many don't really understand what it is used for. This button takes you to the exact site you are looking for instead of to a list of sites for you to choose from. Now, it doesn't always take you to where you want to go. That's why you do it if you are feeling lucky. This button takes users to a non Google site and much of Google's revenue is from people advertising. So, the people, that measly 1%, that use this button don't see the ads on the Google results page and Google looses about a billion dollars... I want exactly paying attention the amount of money they lose, but it is quite a lump sum. Since not many people use it and it makes Google loose revenue, then why, do some ask, does Google keep it around? Great question. They say they keep it there to show that Google isn't a money grubbing, corporate giant thingy that is scary. They want to keep that personable side to them. "Hey, we are Google and, we do make a TON of money, but we are nice and hip and fun and it isn't about money... even though we make a TON of it." Okay, so I didn't actually hear that in the interview, but someone from Google could have said something like it. The button does confuse a lot of people and it doesn't take you to exactly where you want and people abandon using it when they get to a site that they don't know why the button sent them there. In my personal opinion, Google should try something different to make them look more hip and personal. Maybe they should try baby Tigers and Monkeys. Hey, it worked and still works for Jake Jabs.

No comments: